Ophidian P2 Evolution
Ophidian P2 Evolution is a classy audiophile floorstanding speaker that performs way above its price-
The 180mm mid-bass drivers were built specially for the Evolution project by SEAS of Norway and feature a large magnet for outstanding transient response and a stiff but lightweight aluminium diaphragm.
The copper clad aluminium voice coils, long throw suspension and low loss rubber surrounds allow the drivers to displace large volumes of air with very low distortion.
The 25mm thick floating baffle is mounted to the chassis via a flexible gasket which prevents much of the vibrational force generated by the drive units from transferring directly to the cabinet walls.
By acoustically isolating the drive units from the cabinet, colouration is significantly reduced and an incredible depth of detail and separation is revealed.
The combination of a cabinet structure built from plywood rather than the more common MDF and a clever floating front baffle arrangement set the P-series apart from other loudspeakers in their price range.
Plywood is stronger and has better internal damping than MDF. Along with our unique AEROFLEX technology this allows the P2 Evolution to produce a smoothly controlled and extended bass performance.
The P2 Evolution uses an optimised AEROFLEX bass loaded design built directly into the cabinet structure in order to brace and strengthen the cabinet walls. By drastically lowering port velocities the drivers are properly supported throughout their stroke providing effortlessly detailed and dynamic bass.
The 27mm tweeter features an incredibly lightweight Sonolex coated diaphragm capable of producing an exceptionally lifelike sound that is also smooth and easy to listen to for extended periods. A tuned rear chamber and high power handling allows a low crossover point in order to blend seamlessly with output from the mid-bass unit.
Ophidian P2 Evolution
• Twin 180mm aluminium mid-bass drivers with large magnets, low loss rubber surrounds and copper clad voice coils
• Plywood cabinet construction with AEROFLEX port system
• 25mm thick isolated floating front baffle
• Optimised crossover using Mundorf components
• 27mm fabric tweeter with a lightweight Sonolex coated diaphragm
• Frequency response – 34hz to 30khz
• Sensitivity – 88dB (2.83v)
• Recommended power – 50 to 150 watts
• Impedance – 4 ohms
• Dimensions – 349mm H x 192mm W x 315mm
• Plinth dimensions – 232mm W x 320mm D
• Weight – 25kg